If you have been involved in a bus accident in Torrance, California, you may be wondering who you can sue for damages. This can be a complicated question, as it depends on several factors, including the type of bus involved in the accident, the cause of the accident, and who was responsible for the bus at the time of the accident. In this article, our best bus accident lawyer, Michael Ehline, will discuss the parties liable for a bus accident in Torrance, including private and public bus companies and school districts.
He will also cover the various agencies and problem-solving when suing in civil court, filing a government claim, or both. He and his team have been representing clients in downtown Torrance for over a decade, and they can be in your corner too. He will also explain the consequences of no seatbelts, and other bus function issues differing from typical car accidents.
What Can Cause a Bus Accident in Torrance, CA?
Several factors can contribute to bus accidents in Torrance, CA. Understanding these potential causes can help raise awareness and promote safety measures to prevent such accidents.
Here are some common factors that can contribute to bus accidents in Torrance:
- Driver Error: One of the primary causes of bus accidents is driver error. This can include distracted driving, fatigue, speeding, reckless driving, failure to yield, improper lane changes, and other forms of negligence on the part of the bus driver.
- Poor Weather Conditions: Inclement weather, such as heavy rain, fog, or slippery road surfaces, can significantly impact the ability to safely operate a bus. Reduced visibility and decreased traction can increase the risk of accidents if drivers do not adjust their driving behavior accordingly.
- Mechanical Failures: Bus accidents can occur due to mechanical failures, including brake failures, tire blowouts, steering malfunctions, or other issues with the vehicle’s components. Inadequate maintenance and failure to address mechanical problems promptly can contribute to accidents.
- Road Conditions: Unsafe or poorly maintained road conditions can also lead to bus accidents. Potholes, uneven pavement, construction zones, inadequate signage, and other road hazards can make it challenging for bus drivers to maneuver safely and may result in accidents.
- Pedestrian or Cyclist Negligence: Bus accidents can involve pedestrians or cyclists who may behave negligently, such as crossing the road without caution, disregarding traffic signals, or cycling in the blind spots of buses. These actions can increase the likelihood of accidents involving buses.
- Other Driver Negligence: Accidents can occur when other drivers on the road act negligently, such as abruptly changing lanes, tailgating, or failing to yield the right-of-way to buses. These actions can create hazardous situations and increase the risk of collisions.
- Improper Training or Supervision: Inadequate training of bus drivers or lack of proper supervision can contribute to accidents. Drivers need to receive comprehensive training on safe driving practices, defensive driving techniques, and proper handling of various situations they may encounter on the road.
- Passenger Behavior: Disruptive or unruly behavior by passengers can distract the driver and potentially lead to accidents. It is essential for bus operators to maintain order and address any disruptive behavior promptly to ensure the safety of all passengers.
- Fatigue and Long Hours: Bus drivers who work long hours without sufficient breaks or rest periods may experience fatigue, which can impair their alertness and decision-making abilities, increasing the risk of accidents.
Addressing these factors through driver training, regular vehicle maintenance, improved road infrastructure, and promoting responsible behavior among all road users can minimize the occurrence of bus accidents in Torrance.
- Private Bus Accidents
The end results of negligence can mean deaths and deal with serious injuries costing victims millions of their lives. Private bus companies operate for-profit transportation services, such as charter buses, tour buses, and airport shuttles. They can face legal liability when accidents happen. If you are involved in an accident with a private bus, the bus company may be liable for your damages if they were negligent in some way, such as poor maintenance. Negligence can include failure to maintain the bus properly, failure to train the driver properly, failure to follow traffic laws, and causing a bus accident leading to fatalities.
If you are involved in a private bus accident, gathering as much evidence as possible at the scene is important in bringing a personal injury claim for bus accident injuries, including surgery. This may include taking photos of the damage to the bus and any other vehicles involved, getting witnesses’ names and contact information, and obtaining a police report. You should also seek medical attention as soon as possible, even if you do not feel injured at the time of the accident.
Our Torrance bus accident lawyers are available 24/7 to discuss personal injury cases arising from bus accidents. Bus accident victims can receive a free consultation by dialing (833) LETS-SUE. Our best bus accident lawyer is ready to hear about your personal injury cases and other motor vehicle accidents today. Justice could be a phone call away.
- Public Bus Accident Injuries
Public bus accidents involve buses operated by government agencies, such as city or county transit systems. If you are involved in a car accident or a pedestrian accident as a bus passenger with a public bus, the government agency may be liable for your damages. However, suing a government agency can be more complex than suing a private bus company, as there may be specific legal procedures and time limits that must be followed.
In California, you or your bus accident lawyer must file a claim with the government agency responsible for the bus within six months of the accident. This bus accident claim must be filed on a specific form and must include detailed information about the accident and your damages. If your claim is denied, you may be able to file a lawsuit against the government agency and recover compensation after a catastrophic wreck.
Our superior personal injury attorneys in Torrance can explain the roadmap better during our free legal consultation. This free case evaluation will come in handy to lay out the timeframe and evidence needed to win. We help drivers too, so let us answer your questions before you sabotage your case and sacrifice future dollars.
- School Bus Accident Personal Injury Claim
Local government school districts typically operate school buses. School districts are typically county government agencies, so the same legal procedures and time limits for public bus accidents apply to that school agency. However, there may be additional factors to consider in school bus accidents, such as the age of the students involved and any special needs they may have under personal injury law.
If your child is injured in a school bus accident, you may be able to sue the school district for damages, including the trip to the hospital, if any. This may include compensation for medical expenses, pain and suffering, and lost wages if you need to take time off work to care for your child caused during the bus accident. It is important to seek legal advice as soon as possible after the accident, as there may be specific legal procedures and time limits that must be followed by theinjured person or passengers after the bus accident.
- Other Parties that May be Liable
In addition to the bus company or government agency responsible for the bus, other parties may be liable for a bus accident. For example, if a defective part on the bus caused the accident, the manufacturer may be liable. Similarly, if a negligent driver of another vehicle caused the accident, that driver may be liable for the injuries sustained by any bus accident victims and even boarding passengers.
Driver fatigue could be the fault of the transportation company and not just the driver. Big right truck accidents have been know to combine into huge chain collisions, making it harder to prove who caused the accident, turning it into a fight, often for many years as clients wait to get paid the money they deserve under the rules. Our Torrance bus accident lawyers have the skill and bankroll needed to win your bus crash and get accident victims maximum compensation.
Experienced Injury Lawyer
It is in your best interests to consult with an experienced personal injury attorney to determine all parties liable for your damages. A bus accident lawyer at our law office can help you gather evidence, file a claim or personal injury lawsuit, and negotiate a settlement with the responsible parties over your incident. Our top bus accident attorney charges no fee to listen to your side of the story confidently.
We will put you at ease once you speak with us about your newfound disability, and we will go the extra mile if you hire us for legal help. We have recovered over $150 million for past clients, and we will make the defendants pay for what you suffered, including property damage, no matter what. Let’s get the investigation started today. Please schedule an appointment by dialing (833) LETS-SUE or by filling out our convenient contact us form and following the specific steps to get professional guidance. We will deal with the rest and also advance any hospitalization costs. Let us begin settlement negotiations today in your bus accident case.
- Common Bus Accident Injuries
Depending on the circumstances, a bus accident claim can result in a wide range of injuries, from minor cuts and bruises to life-threatening injuries, making you unable to work at your former job or line of business.
Some of the most common injuries in a bus accident case include:
- Back and neck injuries
- Broken bones
- Head injuries.
Head injuries are among the most serious and potentially life-threatening injuries that can occur in bus accidents. The impact of a collision or sudden jolt can cause the head to forcefully strike the interior of the bus or other objects, leading to various types of head injuries after being struck. These bus accident injuries can range from mild concussions to severe traumatic brain injuries (TBIs). Treatments can be expensive, bankrupting many plaintiffs and stripping them of their earnings. We are confident that with our help and passion, your settlements will be higher than you imagined possible. If you got hit, you may be eligible to get back lost income and other losses depending on your status as a plaintiff in most cases.
- Concussions: Concussions are a common type of head injury that occurs when the brain experiences a sudden jolt or impact. The symptoms of a concussion can vary but may include headaches, dizziness, confusion, memory problems, and nausea. While most concussions resolve with time and rest, repeated concussions or more severe cases may require medical intervention and prolonged recovery periods after you sustained injuries.
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBIs): TBIs in a bus accident are more severe head injuries that can have long-lasting or even permanent effects on an individual’s physical, cognitive, and emotional well-being. TBIs can result from a direct impact on the head or from the brain being forcefully shaken within the skull. The severity of a TBI can range from mild (e.g., a brief alteration of consciousness) to severe (e.g., extended periods of unconsciousness or coma). TBI Symptoms: Common symptoms of TBIs include cognitive impairments (memory loss, difficulty concentrating), physical disabilities (impaired balance, coordination, or motor skills), sensory disturbances (vision or hearing problems), and emotional or behavioral changes (mood swings, depression, anxiety).
- Skull Fractures: A severe impact on the head can cause fractures in the skull bone. Skull fractures can range from simple hairline fractures to more complex fractures that involve bone displacement. A skull fracture’s severity depends on the injury’s location and extent. In some cases, skull fractures may require surgical intervention to repair the damage and prevent further complications leading to more permanent disabilities and physical pain.
- Intracranial Hemorrhages: Intracranial hemorrhages refer to bleeding that occurs inside the skull, which can result from blood vessels being damaged during a head injury. These hemorrhages can be classified into different types, including epidural hematomas (bleeding between the skull and the outer membrane of the brain), subdural hematomas (bleeding between the brain and the inner layer of the skull), and intracerebral hemorrhages (bleeding within the brain tissue). Intracranial hemorrhages can lead to increased intracranial pressure, potentially causing further brain damage if not promptly treated immediately.
- Post-Concussion Syndrome: In some cases, individuals may experience ongoing symptoms and complications following a concussion, a condition known as post-concussion syndrome (PCS). PCS can include persistent headaches, dizziness, fatigue, difficulty concentrating, and mood disturbances. These symptoms can significantly impact a person’s daily life and may require ongoing medical care and rehabilitation.
Head injuries are a serious consequence of bus accidents, ranging from mild concussions to severe traumatic brain injuries. Prompt medical attention is crucial after a head injury to assess the severity of the injury and begin appropriate, dedicated medical treatment for physical pain and other ailments in a bus accident case.
Suppose you or a loved one has sustained a head injury or wrongful death claim in a bus accident. In that case, it is essential to consult with a personal injury attorney with a proven track record who specializes in bus accidents to protect your rights and pursue appropriate compensation for your injuries. The medical bills alone and physical therapy expenses make getting maximum compensation the priority of our legal team as we help unravel the legal process on your behalf. Do you have permanent disabilities after being injured at the hands of private or public entities?
Our law firm won’t charge you or your family members legal fees unless we win. We are available to discuss your case and can provide top legal representation for you against the insurance company head and shoulders about other law firms in California. We can handle settlement negotiations with the liable party all the way through trial, no win no fee. Even if there were many buses and cars involved, we could pursue all liable parties for your bus accident injury.
What Bus Companies Operate in Torrance?
Several bus companies operate in the city of Torrance, California, providing transportation services for various purposes. Each bus must undergo appropriate maintenance and must be checked so people don’t slip or fall while aboard or sustain some other type of injury while seated or standing. Some are public, requiring a bus passenger, pedestrian, or motorist to bring a claim under the California Tort Claims Act.
Others may require you to bring a mixture of claims against a different private or government entity if they want financial compensation after suffering damages, perhaps even punitive damages in egregious cases.
Here are some of the prominent bus companies that serve the Torrance area:
- Torrance Transit: Torrance Transit is the local public transportation agency that operates bus services within the city of Torrance. This public entity offers fixed-route bus services, including regular bus lines and express routes, connecting various neighborhoods, commercial areas, and major destinations within Torrance.
- Los Angeles Metro: Los Angeles Metro Bus or Los Angeles Metro Transit Authority (MTA) is the regional transportation agency that serves the Los Angeles County area, including Torrance. It operates numerous bus routes throughout the county, providing connectivity between Torrance and other neighboring cities within the Metro network.
- Beach Cities Transit: Beach Cities Transit is a public transportation agency that serves the South Bay region of Los Angeles County, including the coastal areas near Torrance. It offers bus services connecting Torrance to popular beach destinations such as Redondo Beach, Hermosa Beach, and Manhattan Beach.
- Greyhound Lines: Greyhound Lines is well-known for handling intercity bus transportation and also operates nationwide, including settled routes that pass through Torrance to board and transport in and out of town. Greyhound provides long-distance bus services, connecting Torrance to other cities within California and across the United States.
- Megabus: Megabus is another intercity bus company that operates in Torrance, offering affordable bus services to various cities in California and neighboring states. Megabus provides a budget-friendly option for travelers seeking to explore different destinations from Torrance.
- Airport Shuttle Companies: Various shuttle companies provide transportation services to and from major airports near Torrance, such as Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) and Long Beach Airport (LGB), and even the smaller Torrance Municipal on Skypark. These shuttle services offer convenient and reliable transportation options for travelers located in, going to or coming from a Torrance bus stand.
Does MTA Bus go through Torrance?
No, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) bus service does not directly operate in Torrance, California. The MTA primarily serves the Los Angeles County area, including the city of Los Angeles and its surrounding regions. However, Torrance it does connect with and is served by Torrance Transit, which provides bus services within the city. Torrance Transit operates a network of fixed-route bus lines that connect various neighborhoods, commercial areas, and major destinations within Torrance. If you are looking for bus transportation specifically within Torrance, you would need to rely on Torrance Transit rather than the MTA common carrier.
What is the Statute of Limitations for a Torrance Bus Accident?
The statute of limitations for a Torrance bus accident refers to the timeframe within which a legal claim must be filed in court if the victim wishes to recover financial compensation. Compensation typically included money for pain and suffering, medical costs, and lost wages. Statutes of limitations vary depending on the type of claim and the jurisdiction. In California, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims, including bus accidents, is generally two years from the date of the accident.
However, there are exceptions and factors that can affect the specific timeframe. It’s essential to for victims and other injured bystanders consult with a personal injury attorney familiar with California law to understand the statute of limitations that applies to your particular case. They can provide you with accurate and up-to-date legal assistance based on the specifics of your situation. It’s important to take prompt action and initiate legal proceedings that adhere with the applicable statute of limitations to protect your rights and maximize your chances of a successful claim.
Contact a Top Torrance Bus Accident Lawyer Today
Ready to talk and get an estimate of what it will take to get things resolved. Are you suffering from serious injuries sustained in a bus crash in Torrance, CA? Our law firm is primed and ready to help navigate all your issues to get you the largest amount of compensation possible.
If we can’t settle, we won’t hesitate to bring a bus accident lawsuit for these complex motor vehicle accidents. Contacting a helpful, professional team with vast knowledge is the first step to getting you back on your feet. Try calling us right now at (833) LETS-SUE if you are seeking above average legal representation or assistance figuring out who to sue and when before you are time barred. If you’re lucky, we can move forward right away. Hiring us means you will get the right support with resources on point!
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2021). Traumatic Brain Injury & Concussion. Retrieved from https://www.cdc.gov/traumaticbraininjury/index.html
- Mayo Clinic. (2021). Traumatic Brain Injury. Retrieved from https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/traumatic-brain-injury/symptoms-causes/syc-20378557
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. (2021). Traumatic Brain Injury: Hope Through Research